Simon wants to fight Ramadhan again

By Michael Uugwanga

HARRY ‘The Terminator’ Simon could fight Kaminja Ramadhan of Tanzania in a rematch in December after the manager of Ramadhan sent a text message to Simon last month, saying the Tanzanian boxer has unfinished business with Simon.

This was revealed by Simon in an interview with Confidente Sport this week when he was asked what the future in boxing holds for him after nearly a year without any fights due to lack of funds.

Simon, a former World Boxing Organisation (WBO) Middleweight World Champion, beat Ramadhan in the first round of their fight at the Ramatex factory in Windhoek on 24 November 2018.

The unbeaten Simon (45) said any proposed rematch with Ramadhan would be in the hands of Kinda Nangoloh, promoter of Kinda Promotions, who is reportedly promoting the fight, although Kinda told Confidente Sport Desk that he does not know who the opponent will be for Simon’s next fight.

“The thing is that the manager of Ramadhan texted me, saying that the reason why his boxer lost to me was because he was given shit treatment, such as bad food in Namibia, which led to stomach cramps and apparently he was fighting while not feeling well.

“His manager went on to tell me that his boxer wants a re-match and that I’m afraid of him as he has won two consecutive fights on a trot since losing to me. I then replied to him that I’m ready for a re-match,” Simon said.

Simon said such a fight can only take place in Walvis Bay, his home town on 23 December after a consultation with the Municipality of Walvis Bay, but the fight still hangs in the balance.

Simon also said he was surprised that Kinda denied knowing of the mooted fight against Ramadhan.

“Is he mad? He knows about that. I had a discussion with him about a month ago. On Saturday (16 November), I even called him to ask him about the fight and he said that he was so busy as he was in the north and can only talk to me on Monday or Tuesday (this week) about the fight. So far I have booked the stadium (Kuisebmund), but I have not yet paid for it,” Simon confirmed.

Asked about this, Nangolo said he was still waiting for Simon to tell him about the opponent after admitting that he does not know the details of the proposed fight.

Last month, it was reported that Simon was set to fight retired former world boxing champion Dingaan Thobela in December, but such talks seems to have cooled down.

Nangolo said he could only accommodate Simon in an upcoming boxing tournament scheduled to take place in December, but the date and venue have yet to be confirmed.

“I’m still waiting for Simon to tell me about his opponent. All I’m doing is to try and include him in my upcoming boxing bonanza in December. I have not yet decided on the date, as I am yet to inform the boxing board about it,” said Nangolo.

Simon boasts a record of 31 fights, no losses, while Ramadhan (43) has 24 bouts, 14 wins, nine losses and one draw under his belt.