Insect spray blamed for death of roommate

By Confidente Reporter

AT Walvis Bay two people had to be hospitalised and another was declared dead on Saturday, apparently as a result of highly toxic insecticide that was sprayed or placed inside the room in which the three were sleeping.

According to police reports on the case, it is alleged that Kamungu Henock Nehongo on Thursday, 8 August sprayed insecticide (or placed QuickPhos Tablets) inside the shack at Kilimanjaro Street in Kuisebmond, where he resides with his friends: two other men and a woman, who is a partner to one of his friends.

Nehongo had reportedly sprayed the insecticide to kill insects inside the shack, but when he came back from work at around 08h00 on Saturday morning he found one of his friends dead and another unconscious. He then asked the owner of the house to take them to the state hospital, where the two were urgently admitted for medical attention.

The deceased person has been identified as a Namibian male, 38-year-old Thomas Katakula. The two other victims, Maria Shipanga (21) and Tomas Ithindi (38) were said to be in a stable condition. The police said Katakula's body would undergo post mortem examination to determine whether he in fact died of the toxic insecticide. A case of culpable homicide case is expected to be opened once the findings are known.